Mayfield College 2019 - 2020
Welcome to the webpage for Mayfield College.
At Mayfield College we recognise that students are approaching a pinnacle milestone as they are in the final stages of preparation for adulthood. As a staff team, we identified that the priority for our students is to ensure that our all of students are ready for ‘Life beyond Mayfield’. With this in mind our curriculum intent is to ensure that students have truly generalised their current skills to apply them in functional and meaningful life, and where appropriate to develop new skills, communication and knowledge to secure a successful transition into adulthood. This will promote students to become as independent as possible and to lead happy and fulfilling lives.
The key Mayfield principles become paramount for students for successful transitions, these principles being:
- To be able to communicate and be understood
- To maximise independence
- To understand rules and the need to follow them
- To be able to make choices/decisions
- To develop resilience
- To have social skills and apply them and be part of society
- To be able to help themselves or have some control over what is happening to them
- To be able to learn to self- regulate to cope with challenge in an appropriate way
- To know their sense of worth and have self- confidence
- To use their bodies to complete fine and gross motor tasks and activities.
- To understand the world around them
All of our students have personalised targets as part of their EHCP which underpin their learning within College.
The curriculum aims to provide students with a balanced curriculum consisting of ‘core’ subjects and ‘options’ that promote the students:
- Functional Literacy and numeracy skills.
- Life Skills
- Social Skills
- Communication Skills
- Personal Interests and aspirations
- Work Skills
- Travel skills
- Creative Skills
- Leisure Skills
Any students requiring additional support have personalised interventions for example sensory diets, Speech and Language Therapy programmes, Counselling programmes.
For more information please see the Mayfield College overview document below
Files to Download
Mayfield College: News items
Mayfield College: Blog items
Functional Skills Resources - Maths E2-3, by Mr Appleton
Functional Skills Resources - English Activity (The Lighthouse), by Mr Appleton
Functional Skills Resources - Reading Comprehension, by Mr Appleton
Mayfield College: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Mayfield College: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display